Buying or selling share certificates
- We make buying and selling shares you hold in certificated form simple.
- When you buy shares we can send them to you in certificated form if you wish.
- Certificated share dealing is available as part of the Davy Select telephone account, call for instant price quotes.
- You can transfer your holding(s) to our nominee service at any time if you would like Davy to hold your certificates for you.
What is a share certificate?
- A Share certificate is a legal document that certifies ownership of a specific number of shares in a corporation.
- You legally own the shares. You receive all documents and your dividends are paid directly to you.
Some risks of holding share certificates
- You are responsible for the safekeeping of your own share certificates
- Share certificates can be lost or damaged. They are costly to replace if lost or stolen.
- They expose you to fraud if they fall into the wrong hands
- You will not be able to place your order to sell until we have physical receipt of your certificates
Already an existing Davy client
As an existing Davy client, you can buy and sell shares through your account. If you want to apply Irish share certs you hold to your Davy account, you will need to send us your share certificates and signed Euroclear transfer forms. For UK share holdings you will need to send us your share certificates and signed CREST transfer forms. To transfer share certificates from other markets, please contact us on 01 614 8900 or email us. You should notify us before sending any share certs to us.
Not a client yet?
You should ensure that you understand the risks of any investment decision including share purchases or sales before proceeding. The value of shares can fall as well as rise and you could get back less than you invest